What Do I Need to Consider with a Second-Story Addition?
When it comes to adding space to your home, an addition with a second-story is a great way to utilize square footage on a small space, show off beautiful views and allow you to relocate all bedrooms to the same floor. While building an addition will positively affect the rest of your home, it can mean structural reinforcement. Here are a few things from Acton Woodworks to consider before you start building your addition.
- When adding your second-story addition, really think about the design and function of it. Because it will have a ripple effect on the rest of your home, you want it to look like it was always meant to be there. Take your time with the design and function and it will end up positively affecting your curb appeal.
- Because a second-story addition is going to weigh more that your old roof, your contractor will need to estimate the weight of your main-floor walls and foundation and how to hold that weight. A second-story addition is going to need additional support, which includes plywood and steel connections into your foundation that will need to meet code requirements.
- When you add a new staircase, it can affect the rooms and traffic on the main-floor of your home. If you’re stuck on where to put your stairs, work with an architect to come up with some good locations.
- Because the mechanics of your home (furnace, electrical panel and water heater) are determined by the square footage of your home, when you increase, you’ll have to look into these systems and how to upgrade them.
- If you’re adding a second-story and have a masonry chimney, you either need to remove it or build it above your new roof. Depending on how often you use your fireplace, this could be an easy decision.
- With a second-story addition, when it comes to your windows, doors and siding, should you match them or start over? If it requires that you remove part of the siding from your main home, should you get new siding all together? Be sure to make these decisions from the get go to make things easier for yourself.
When it comes to an addition to your home, there are various other elements to consider. Acton Woodworks is happy to discuss our home addition services or your upcoming project! Contact us today by calling 978-263-0222 or by filling out our online contact form.